I came up with the idea for this after reading a similar feature at the website BuzzFeed. Having been a wrestling fan for the past (approximately) 450 years, it's easy to think certain matches, storylines or milestones happened fairly recently. But after looking through some of these and realizing how much time has actually passed.... you, too, will also feel old as dirt.
1. Bret Hart was screwed in Montreal by Vince McMahon... fifteen years ago.
2. Remember Dominick Mysterio? Rey Mysterio's little bastard? The kid Eddie Guerrero tried to win custody of?
Here's what he looked like back then.
Here's what he looks like now (no, not Mike Tyson, dumbass; the guy in the middle).
3. Almost 50 wrestlers, managers, announcers and referees (not including celebrities) that have appeared at a WrestleMania are deceased.
6. If the "dawning of a new era" below was a little Jewish boy instead of a wrestling promo? It would be having its barmitzvah this year.
Hava Negilah, Junior!
7. Vince McMahon introduced the Attitude Era 15 years ago.
8. The following announcement.... is 16 years old.
9. This television show debuted 27 years ago.
And it was relaunched (to considerably less fanfare) six years ago.
10. Andre The Giant died more than 19 years ago. That's lengthier than his supposed 15 year "undefeated" streak.
11. Oh, and speaking of undefeated streaks?
His ended 14 years ago.
12. And one more streak-related one: The Undertaker began his famous WrestleMania streak 21 years ago.
13. If WWE were to re-release today its popular No Mercy video game from 2000, and it were to only feature current full- or part-time WWE-contracted talent, the game would only have 20 characters.
Stone Cold Steve Austin
Bubba Ray Dudley
Scotty Too Hotty
Andre The Giant
Big Boss Man
14. It's been two full decades since ClubWWI.com host Erik Watts was named "Rookie of the Year" by Pro Wrestling Illustrated magazine.
15. Speaking of rookie years... Ric Flair began his in the AWA 40 years ago.
Naitch retired after losing a match to Hulk Hogan at Hallowe'en Havoc... 18 years ago.
He unretired, was suspended, was injured, dropped out of wrestling, returned to wrestling in a non-wrestling role, became a manager, returned to wrestling again and finally retired after losing to Shawn Michaels... three years ago:
And of course, he's still semi-active in wrestling today.
16. Extreme Championship Wrestling filed for bankruptcy 11 years ago.
17. Remember Jason Sensation? The dude who impersonated Owen Hart during the infamous D-Generation X parody in 1998?
Here's how he looked a couple of years ago (other YouTube rants on his customized channel disappeared recently):
18. And speaking of The King of Harts.... he's been gone for 13 years.
19. Of the 24 people the World Wrestling Federation picked up in 2001 as part of its acquisition of World Championship Wrestling, none are actively wrestling in WWE any more. In fact, only four are even loosely associated with WWE, TNA or ROH.
Chavo Guerrero Jr.
Sugar Shane Helms
Johnny The Bull
20. John Cena was drafted from SmackDown to Raw in 2005. So he's been receiving boos for seven years now.
21. This little piece of business is a decade old.
23. Do you remember watching this segment on Saturday morning WWF television?
That means you are (at least!) 26 years old this year, jerky. And how many infants remember watching wrestling segments?
24. Huge Douche Canoe Matt Hardy, circa 1992, 2002 and 2012.
25. Remember the "New Generation" campaign? That was launched 20 years ago, old timer.
Canadian Bulldog (don't pretend like you don't know who he is!!!) has been writing about professional wrestling since 2003, and became a WWI Superstar at
World Wrestling Insanityin January 2006. Need more Bulldog? Check out his "Complete and Utter Bulldog" podcast at ClubWWI.com; like his Facebook page and follow him on Twitter.